Yesterday (Australian time) Live Messenger 8.1 became available for download.
The latest version has lots of new and improved features, including:
- roaming identity (your display picture now goes with you whenever you move from one computer to another)
- a better contact card
- SMS phone book (click the mobile phone icon on the main screen)
- send a text message to a friend’s mobile (if they’ve registered their mobile phone with the Live Messaging system – they’ll have a little mobile icon alongside; just right-click on their nickname in your contact list)
- im and talk with your Yahoo! friends
- 2 free VOIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) phone calls to anywhere in the world (except from Australia at present – we’ll have to wait and see if this service becomes available to Aussie Live Messers).
- personal contact invitations when you add a new contact to your friend’s list so they know who’s inviting them.
Check out some screenshots and full description of the new and improved features at Inside Live Messenger (plenty of screenshots), Liveside (more screenshots; note the one which shows the phone icon on the main Messenger pane – scroll down until you see Update) and the Live Messenger features page.
Go get Windows Live Messenger 8.1 – and we in Australia will patiently wait to see if we get the VOIP service – from get.live.com/messenger/overview.